Tuesday, September 04, 2007

R.I.P. Hily Kristal, CBGB

With a heavy heart I say R.I.P. Hilly Kristal. I remember reading about him in RAVE a while back about how great he was. I truly admired the man and the courage to have a club like CBGB. CBGB stood for the true and actual Indie music scene. Indie in this context, is not the traditional commercial meaning. It means the freedom one has to express. That is the freedom granted by Hilly Kristal on a platform for the world to watch. Whop can forget Izzy Stradlin wearing a CBGB t-shirt in sweet child o mine? WHO??

This is truly a very sad moment and I'm deeply saddened by this. This is also means that CBGB comeback is that much more difficult. I know it will make a comeback, but I wonder if in the same spirit. Will it still hold that raw energy? Will they still showcase virgin talent? without any 'suit' tricks?

Please visit the CBGB Myspace Page.

(CBGB was a legendary club in Manhattan, NY which showcased fresh talent. It known to be the forerunner in the punk scene and has launched the careers for Ramones, The Misfits, Television, Mink DeVille, The Dead Boys, The Dictators, The Fleshtones, Blondie, and Talking Heads. The club closed on the weekend of October 13, 2006.)

No comments: